Silvey Family - Myrtle Beach 2010

Silvey Family - Myrtle Beach 2010
Silvey Family - Myrtle Beach 2010

Monday, January 16, 2012

Summer Salsa

Once again we planted too many tomato plants over the summer and wound up with oodles of tomatoes. The plus side is that we got lots of salsa. Look at these beautiful tomatoes. I love having a garden!






All of these were from one picking in our garden.


Caleb once again proved his amazing culinary skills. He basically did everything for canning the salsa this time around. Literally, I think I helped cut the tomatoes.


Look at all that yummy goodness! Caleb also tried a black bean salsa this year (the small pot in the back). We had to buy a pressure canner because of the beans but it was well worth it. It turned out delicious. He also added cilantro to the big batch this year. (Not my favorite, but still really good.)


Most of the peppers in the salsa came from our garden too.


Look at that stack of canned jars!!! If I remember correctly we canned 1 flat of tomatoes, 1 flat of sweet chili sauce (Thanks Alexis!), 1 flat of tomato soup, and 3 flats of salsa. He was one busy man! We posted the recipes we used last year (2010) on our blog then, but I think Caleb made a few tweaks this year. When he has a minute to tell me what he tried differently I'll post the recipes from this time around. Thanks again Caleb!

4 comments:

Silvey Mothership said...

yummy! Gardens are great and so is all the goodness they produce. Way to use it up and it keeps on giving.

Carrie said...

Our tomatoes are the one thing that did not do well last year. I'm hoping to get to many this year. If that happens I'll need your recipe.

Bradley, DeAnna, Donovan, and Chamae said...

Mmmm. You should send some salsa back with Brad.

Hiatt Family said...

Looks delish...we too would like to sample your salsa!!!